Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Down Syndrome Wednesday

I tried to make a schedule of sorts and I somehow decided that Wednesdays would be dedicated to Dudely and our Down Syndrome adventure.

As I have said many times before: he is doing great.

This Friday he will be 11 weeks post-op and other than a big scar on his chest everything is normal. Well, normal for him.

He does seem to be behind on some skills, but I think that could just be because of the surgery and recovery time.

He's rolling around all over the floor, which I love. I don't love that he rolls onto his belly while he's sleeping and can't seem to roll back over in his bed...so he gets upset in the middle of the night and mommy has to come to the rescue. 

He's starting to put his knees under his belly and push his butt into the air, but he doesn't have quite enough arm strength to lift the upper part of his body. 

Early intervention is having me work on sitting and pivoting with him. 

He doesn't have any teeth yet and I don't see any signs of them showing up any time soon. I read somewhere that kids with Down Syndrome tend to get their teeth later, so that's probably the reason for that.

He's had some good check-ups with the cardiologist and he has his 9 month check-up with the pediatrician next week. I expect that to go well, except he has to have his 6 month vaccinations again due to being on bypass during his surgery. I also hope to get a referral to the clinic that specializes in his condition.

Other peoples' reactions to his Down Syndrome has been mixed. My first experience with someone recognizing it was the new principal at the kids' school. She was the supervisor of some kind of special ed program through the board of education, so she had a lot of good things to say. Good first experience!

One of my coworkers said "he looks Asian" and referred to him as "chinky and happy".

I really don't mind that his features resembles those who are Asian, but I feel like there should be a more tactful way to comment about it. 

Yesterday Hubby's ex (who doesn't even know about it), who he was talking to as if she were BB because he didn't realize it was her, said, "Stop talking to me like I have Down Syndrome!"

Now I really don't want her to know about it. Before I didn't want her to know because it's none of her business, but now it's because I'm pretty sure she'll use it to make hurtful comments. 

Just about everyone who has seen him only comments on how cute he is (besides medical professionals and people who already know), not how he looks a little different or that something might be wrong with him. 

He's still a sweet and happy little boy. I wouldn't change a thing about him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment