We made it this time, however, and I'm really glad we went. There were a lot of families there and they were all very friendly. We didn't bring the kids because we really didn't know what to expect. Everyone else brought their kids, though, and all of them -- down syndrome or not -- were playing together and having a great time.
We'll bring ours next time.
Everyone was accepting of the fact that ours isn't here yet, and they were willing to answer whatever questions we have and recommend doctors and other people to speak to. They do a lot to raise Down Syndrome awareness. They're doing a buddy walk this weekend and there's a car show coming up. They also host a teacher's conference, I guess to address the importance of special education for these children. I think they're also planning a pumpkin patch trip soon.
One guy we talked to...I think he may have been the president of the group...was talking about his teenage son who has Down Syndrome. He said he was a straight A student last year, he never gets sick, and he heals faster than his siblings. He also said that some things he has noticed after talking to so many parents, is that these children don't get cavities and besides the increased chance of leukemia as a child, they don't develop other childhood cancers. I don't know what his source is for that information, but it's pretty incredible to think about.
I look forward to going to the next meeting and learning more.
This sounds like a great group to go to! And I think it's a great idea to bring the kids next time too. :)
ReplyDeleteThe group sounds so friendly and like a great resource for you!
Sounds like a wonderfully supportive group and I'm glad you found it.
ReplyDelete